Wednesday, December 24, 2008

#50: Martian Time Slip by Philip K. Dick

I wanted to finish my 2008 reading challenge with Samuel Delany's Dhalgren to acknowledge my discovery of Delany's work this year, but I haven't finished up the chunky tome in time. However, I also sort of re-discovered Philip K. Dick this year, so it seems appropriate that I end with Martian Time-Slip.

This novel bears a lot of resemblance to a later novel of Dick's, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, that I also read this year. Both involve the hardscrabble lives of Martian colonists, with ruminations on time travel, psychology, and more. But where Eldritch was looser and more hallucinatory, Time Slip is denser, more somber, more filled with philosophical ideas. A worthwhile read, and I understand it will be part of the next Library of America edition of Dick's work.

I borrowed this from Morrison-Reeves Library in Richmond, Indiana.

1 comment:

Lone Wolf said...

Congrats John! I would love to do this challenge, but you know how frazzled I get during my busy semesters. I might try it anyways for 2009.