Tuesday, December 9, 2008

#47: Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Skin-crawling horror about a young woman, living with her husband's family in a close-knit island community, whose artistic abilities come to life with ominous consequences.

After having my brain flayed by Chuck Palahniuk's latest, Snuff, I went right back to the Kool-Aid bowl for more. This outing surprised me by being more subdued than the last one I read, though with plenty of surprises. Palahniuk is a clever writer, fashioning an interesting epistolary novel focused on a "coma diary" that the protagonist writes to her unconscious husband, who narrowly survived a suicide attempt. The storytelling is creepy-crawly thoughout, with a surprising denouement. Despite my earlier misgivings, I have enjoyed both Palahniuk novels I have read to date.

Diary compares favorably to Ira Levin's Rosemary's Baby with a splash of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper and a whiff of the original British film version of The Wicker Man. If this sends a chill up your spine, by all means go looking for this one.

I listened to a very good audiobook version read by Martha Plimpton that I checked out from the Morrison-Reeves Public Library in Richmond, Indiana.

2 comments:

Doc said...

3 more! Go Go Go Go Go Go Go GO Go Go Go Go Go GO.

T.

John Oak Dalton said...

Thank you, O Mighty Caveman. Especially since you got me into this!

And congratulations on making it yourself!

JOD