Monday, May 26, 2008

#22: After Dark by Haruki Murakami

After Dark follows two young people who meet in the late hours of a Tokyo night and spend the time until dawn revealing bits and pieces of themselves in Haruki Murakami's whimsical, magical, yet sometimes maddening novel.

Although I thought Murakami had the rythyms of staying up all night down right, not to mention the denizens you find there, I was unhappy with the open-ended conclusion and some of the writing conceits. Perhaps it was in the translation from Japanese, but I found the storytelling mannered and often written, curiously enough, like a screenplay.

However, I thought Murakami had a unique style and I know some of this other novels have been very well-received. I will mark this one down as interesting if not entirely satisfying and perhaps seek out another.

I checked this out from the Morrison-Reeves Library in Richmond, Indiana.

1 comment:

Lone Wolf said...

Kafka on the Shore also had an some what disappointing open ended conclusion. Murakami has said if you read Kafka... many times it will make sense due to it being a riddle. I've only read it once.

Norwegian Wood was great. It was less surreal and magical than his other work.

Those are the only Two Murakami novels I've read so far. I hear The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World are amazing.