Thursday, January 17, 2008

#2: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I think I was officially the last person on Earth who hadn't read the Harry Potter series. I'm one of those people that have an aversion to whatever bandwagon everybody else seems to be on; sometimes to my detriment, as when I passed on the Harry Potter series. So now that the buzz is over, I thought I would try it.

The first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, is a bright, cheery young adult adventure about a youngster who did not know about his powerful magical legacy until he gets invited to a mystic boarding school. The story covers one school year and centers around Harry's emerging friendships and a growing threat from a supposedly dead wizard who killed Harry's parents. I suppose most everybody else knew all this already.

I found the creativity engaging and the pace brisk, so I am sure I will seek out the next one.

I listened to this on audio book on loan from the Morrison-Reeves Library in Richmond, Indiana. Jim Dale, the reader, has gotten much acclaim for his performance in the audio series and I know many people who preferred to enjoy the books this way. I would count myself among them.

No comments: